Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Oysters: The Pearls of Sea Part 1, Sauced!


This photo I took at 28 Degrees Restaurant in Boston.

I don't know about you but I am a superfan of oysters! I prefer them raw, but also enjoy them fried, grilled or lightly steamed. The reason why I love raw oysters is for the ocean taste that comes with them in their simplicity. The accompanying sauces are not even necessary because oysters are delicious by themselves, but there a couple of sauces that I prefer with my little pearls.

Mignonette
This is a beautifully simple sauce for oysters. Packs a punch and compliments the awesomely pungent taste of the oysters themselves.

1/2 cup shallots
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/8 tsp of kosher salt
1/8 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of white peppercorns
This can be created raw or can be heated up in a sauce pot on a simmer for just under 10 minutes.

Horserash Cocktail Sauce
I'm not the biggest fan of ketchup, so when I can, I create my own cocktail sauce and amp it up with beautiful horseradish and roasted garlic.
2 cups of San Marzano tomatoes sauteed with 1 tsp of sugar, onion and half a head of roasted garlic)
1 medium onion
1 lemon
1 tbsp Worcestshire Sauce
5 tbsp prepared horseradish
3 tbsp italian flat parsley
After the tomatoes are sauteed, add the lemon juice, minced parsley and horseradish, spring with kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste.

I could write on and on about oysters, and I am promising to post my friend Mason's recipe for Pecorino, Garlic, Herb and Butter Grilled Oysters. They are ridiculous. But for now, I shall enjoy my glass of Pinot Noir and dream of my little pearls of the sea.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you love oysters as much as I do, love the recipes for the sauces you posted too!!!

    ReplyDelete